Yesterday my mom came over and we had a "Sewing Day". I had such a great time. My mom is working on a jean quilt, decided what pattern she wanted to do and started cutting away. I decided I would work on one of many projects: a fleece John Deere blanket. It was my first time doing a self-binding blanket. After watching instructions on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqwdNqMZ8Ro) and downloading instructions I found online, I was ready to begin!
A couple weeks ago I cut the fabric as needed (I did it for an adult so its MUCH bigger than the tutorial). Can I just say that working with fleece is a bit more difficult? However, I love the finished products every time and fleece is just so comfy.
If I were to sew another blanket like this I would do the solid color as the "backing" material and the decorative fabric in the front, basically switching the way I sewed it this time. Also, when we (I say we because my mom was wonderful and helped for a bit) sewed the top-stitch, we used a special stitch which looks like a tractor tire mark. I kept saying, "I just can't get over how great this looks on the blanket, this stitch is so perfect for this blanket!"
I also worked on another project that is close to being done... but I will wait to post or say anything until its completed. Mom and I had a fun "Mother - Daughter" day as we worked on projects, talked and listened to fun country gospel music. One of our favorites is from Alison Krauss, "I'll Fly Away", the cd "Amazing Grace III: A Country Salute to Gospel" and of course...Johnny Cash. I can't wait to have another sewing day with mom!
Here are the pics of the tractor blanket:



No comments:
Post a Comment